Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Kitcharao is a fourth class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 17,377 people.

The Municipality of Kitcharao was created under Republic Act No. 3842, sponsored by Congressman Guillermo R. Sánchez. It was once a barrio of Jabonga. Through the initiative of the then Vice Mayor Francisco M. Tuozo of Jabonga, a resolution was sponsored petitioning Congress for the creation of the Municipality of Kitcharao.

The inhabitants of the municipality came from various regions in Luzon and the Visayas, hence the presence of Ilocanos, Tagalogs, Leyteños, Ilongos, Warays, Cebuanos, Boholanos, and a few indigenous groups known as the Mamanwa or Kongking.

On August 29, 1963, the first Municipal Officials were inducted to the office by then Governor Democrito O. Plaza. Félix Q. Basadre, Sr. was the appointed Mayor, Marceliano Morada as Vice Mayor and all the councillors were: Mariano M. Napalan, Sr., Gaudencio Pojas, Pencionico Bermúdez, Juan Tidalgo, Agustín Patagan and Uldarico Atuel.

The same set of Municipal Officials was elected in the ensuing regular election on November 1963.

In 2005, Barangays Crossing and Songkoy were created.

Tubay, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Tubay is a fourth class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 20,426 people.

It was created from the barrios of Tubay, La Fraternidad, Tinigbasan, Cabayawa, Victory, Sta. Ana, and Tagmamarcay of the municipality of Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte in 1947, by virtue of Republic Act No. 188.

The town of Tubay is named after its legendary founder Datu Tabay, and lays claim to being the second Spanish Settlement in Agusan and was known as a Pueblo as early as 1751. Formerly, the people settled in the wilderness of Ilihan, then transferred to sitio Malabog and later to Tubay-Tubay and Sabang near the mouth of the Jabonga River. However, the danger of constant inundation and Moro attacks convinced the succeeding leader of the place to move the pueblo to Daang Lungsod where the massive magkuno post of once spacious and strongly built church now stand. It was here where the settlement firmly took place.

Since 1898, Tubay was a prosperous town. But when the Americans visited Tubay and Cabadbaran, they were convinced that the latter was the better place for the seat of government. Therefore in 1903, Tubay was reduced to a barrio to give way to its equally thriving neighbor, Cabadbaran. Although reduced to a barrio status, it still remained the center of commercial activity due to the presence of Chinese merchants. Booming business in Tubay was still noticeable until the fabulous 20’s when the navigable Jabonga River was the chief artery of its copra and hemp traffic. However, when the road connecting Tubay-Santiago and Cabadbaran was finished, business in Tubay began to decline and trade through the Jabonga River disappeared.

Jabonga, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Jabonga is a third class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 23,833 people.

Jabonga lies within the grid 90 degrees 18 minutes to 9 degrees 23 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 43 minutes east longitude. Its boundaries are Kitcharao and Surigao del Norte to the north; Butuan Bay to the west; Tubay and Santiago to the south; Surigao del Sur to the east. It is 60 kilometres (37 mi) from Butuan City.

It has a total land area of 29,300 hectares of plain to rolling and hilly lands. Among the municipalities, Jabonga ranks first in total area and number of farms (464) which are mostly owned by individuals. It has one of the 36 crop storage facilities of the province.Its major crops are coconut, rice, corn, timber and both fresh and sea-water fish.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Santiago, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Santiago is a fourth class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 20,955 people.

In the later part of 1898, a group of natives fleeing from the municipality of Jabonga settled in a place recognized by the municipality of Cabadbaran as barrio Santiago, However, in 1924 the Aciga River swelled its banks, destroying all properties, crops and animals along it. This forced the inhabitants of Santiago, Cabadbaran to transfer to barrio Jagupit. In 1936, the same Aciga River wrought damage which made the inhabitants decide to transfer at the foot of the hill, particularly at Sitio Paypay, which was inhabited by two groups of natives-the Manobos and the Mamanwas, then.

The construction of the national highway, which passes thru sitio Paypay, lured more people to settle in the place.

Towards the end of 1936, thru a bill sponsored by the late Congressman Calo, the name Paypay was changed to Santiago in honor of Senior Santiago or Saint James.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cabadbaran City, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Cabadbaran is the capital City of the Province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines.

It has a population of 69,241 according to the NSO Census of 2010. Founded in 1894, the city rose from its Spanish period beginnings to become the premier town of Agusan del Norte. Its rich cultural heritage is evident it its preserved colonial period houses and its archaeological collections. Following its recent declaration as a city, it is also the officially designated capital of the province per Republic Act 8811.


Cabadbaran, as a community, is very old, so old that one could trace its existence back to 1200A.D. Traces of the existence of 12th century villages could be found along ancient waterways dissecting the territory now called Cabadbaran. Along the old creeks of Caasinan, Cambuayon and Capudlusan, pre-Spanish Cabadbaranons once lived, worked and died during the 9th-12th centuries, contemporaneous with the old archaeological sites in Butuan City. Artifacts from these pre-Spanish villages could be found today at the Cabadbaran City Artifacts Gallery now temporarily housed at the City Library. 

We have no records of what is in Cabadbaran or what transpired therein during the early years of Spanish colonization except for the solitary site in Sanghan which exhibited Chinese ceramics made during the 15th-16th centuries. 

Magallanes, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Magallanes is a fourth class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 21,481 people.

The municipality was named after the Portuguese surname of the maritime explorer Ferdinand Magellan.

Its land is mostly flat and rolling, surrounded by mountains. Swamps characterize much of the landscape of this place that is situated at the mouth of the two major rivers in the province, the Agusan and Baug Rivers.

The elevation of most of lands is two (2) feet below sea level. The town center is in the river delta and has to be kept protected by dikes. The land gradually rises in the northwest to the 99 metres (325 ft) high Mt. Taod-oy at barangay Taod-oy and the 162 metres (531 ft) high Mount Panaytayon.

Around 2,834.89 hectares of Magallanes lands have slope of 0 to 3 percent, 399.28 hectares have 8 to 18 percent, 1,497.30 18 to 30 percent and 250.53 hectares 30 to 50 percent.

Hydrosol, San Miguel Loam, San Miguel Clay Loam, Malalag Silt Loam and Butuan Loam are its soil types. Upper Miocene, Cretaceous-Paleogene and recent sedimentary materials are the rock elements that make up Magallanes lands.

RTR, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Remedios T. Romualdez is the youngest town in the province of Agusan del Norte. The new town was formerly barangays Agay, Basilisa, Balangbalang, Humilog, Panaytayon, San Antonio and Tagbongabong, all previously a part of the Municipality of Cabadbaran and the primary supplies of agricultural products, notably rice. They appropriately named the rice granary of Cabadbaran.

The seven (7) barangays slowly but steadily progresses as more migrants came and settled permanently to till the fertile soil. Agriculturally oriented and industrious new comers found the place a productive haven for an idyllic life. Situated along the Maharlika Highway, the inhabitants were convinced that their place could become a halfway town between the city of Butuan and Cabadbaran later.

It officially became a local government unit on January 1, 1984.

The municipality of Remedios T. Romualdez is envisioned to become an agri-industrial develop municipality after 10 years. It is one of the leading palay producers of Agusan del Norte and destined to top the statistics as a rice-producing municipality being the influence area of Agusan 11 Projects of the National Irrigation Administration (NIA).

The Municipality is the rice granary of the province and also one among the biggest and high- grade quality of Manganese Mineral Resources in the Country.

Nasipit, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Nasipit is a third class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 national census, it has a population of 40,663 people.

The Port of Nasipit is the major seaport or base port in the province of Agusan del Norte. The Philippine Ports Authority PPA assigned PMO Nasipit as an International Base port.

The recorded history of Nasipit can be traced back to as early as 1880s when it was declared as a pueblo by the Spanish colonizers. According to townsfolk, its name may derived to an incident where a native, immediately after being bitten by a crab, was asked the name of the place by an immigrant. Misunderstanding the question, the native answered “na-si-pit” meaning bitten by a crab. Since then, the town became known as Nasipit.

Nasipit was officially separated from the municipality of Butuan on August 1, 1929. It became a municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 181 issued by Acting Governor General Eugene Gilmore of the U.S. Army. A proposal to change its name to Aurora was initiated by former Governor Teofisto Guingona Sr. but due to the strong opposition from townsfolk, the name Nasipit was retained.

Monday, December 15, 2014

Carmen, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Carmen is a fourth class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 19,781 people.

The municipality of Carmen is the first town of Agusan del Norte that is strategically located in the Western Agusan Corridor. It is bounded on the north by the Butuan Bay, on the south by the municipality of Buenavista, on the east by the municipality of Nasipit and on the west by the province of Misamis Oriental.

Carmen has a total land area of 21,142 hectares. Its rolling hills are planted with different kinds of orchard, where some 500 hectares are devoted solely to mango plantations. About half of these are fully developed and are already producing sweet mango fruits which are being sold in volume in Cebu and Manila and to neighboring municipalities and Butuan City.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Buenavista, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Buenavista is a 1st class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2000 census it has a population of 50,612 people and 9,384 households.

Buenavista is located in Northeastern part of the Mindanao island. It lies 9 degrees 55 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 25 minutes east longitude of the Northern part of Agusan del Norte. It is bounded on the North by Butuan Bay, on the West is Nasipit and Misamis Oriental, on the South by Las Nieves and on the east by the City of Butuan. It is 16 kilometers away from Butuan City the capital city of Agusan del Norte Caraga Region (XIII). It is more or less 30 minutes drive from the City of Butuan. Buenavista is very accessible to all direction because it is connected by a National Highway which traverses Mindanao. From Surigao City in the Northeast and Davao City in the South and Cagayan de Oro City Westward. Buenavista is only 10 kilometers from Bancasi Airport and 8 kilometers Westward to the International port of Nasipit.

Buenavista has a total land area of 54, 690 hectares of plain and rolling lands. The southern is hilly while the northern portion is flat. Out of this area are 9,000 hectares utilized for agriculture. The population and most of the rural barangays are located in the plain. It has the longest road networks in the province which is about 21.7% of the total.