The municipality of Carmen is the first town of Agusan del Norte that is strategically located in the Western Agusan Corridor. It is bounded on the north by the Butuan Bay, on the south by the municipality of Buenavista, on the east by the municipality of Nasipit and on the west by the province of Misamis Oriental.
Carmen has a total land area of 21,142 hectares. Its rolling hills are planted with different kinds of orchard, where some 500 hectares are devoted solely to mango plantations. About half of these are fully developed and are already producing sweet mango fruits which are being sold in volume in Cebu and Manila and to neighboring municipalities and Butuan City.
Formerly, Carmen was called Kabayawa by the Manobo natives. Carmen got its present name from the miraculous image of the Virgin of Mount Carmen, believed to have been instrumental in killing the leader of the bandits who used to inhabit the place.
A Spanish Soldier named Juan Cardoniga was supposed to have fired his rifle at the leader of the outlaws who possessed an amulet of some source. Since his rifle did not work, Cardoniga got the image of the virgin from his necklace and place it inside the hole of the barrel after which he succeeded in firing the rifle and in killing the outlaw chief.
It was Rev. Saturnino Urios, the famous Jesuit priest of Agusan, who suggested that the name Kabayawa be changed to Carmen in honor of the secret image.
In 1949 the barrios of Carmen, Tagcatong, Cahayagan and San Agustin, formerly part of the municipality of Nasipit, became the town of Carmen by virtue of Republic Act No. 380 which was approved on June 15, 1949. This law was sponsored by Congressman Marcos M. Calo. The town came into being on July 1, 1949.
Carmen Municipal Hall has a glamorous palace-like architectural design that is marked as one of the town's tourist destinations.
This municipal hall becomes more attractive during Yuletide season because of its fashionable Christmas decoration.
Thousands of tourists from local and foreign countries are coming in just to see the unusual beauty that Carmen municipality has.
It is officially opened on July 1, 2011.
Mount Carmel View Park is commonly called by Carmenanons as "Marcos Park", located at San Isidro, Barangay Tagcatong, Carmen Agusan del Norte, Philippines.
In this, you can view the whole Carmen and its nearby municipalities, and the island province of Camiguin.
Punta Diwata Cave is located in Brgy. Vinapor, Carmen, Agusan del Norte, Philippines. It is one of the popular destinations in Carmen which consists of 43 caves.
The awesome caves,the friendly people around them and the spectacular view of the sea in which you can also see the nearby Camiguin Island are more than enough to make tourists visit the place again and again.
Vinapor Blue Waters is located in near in the Cliffs of Barangay Vinapor, Carmen, Agusan del Norte, Philippines.
This resort which consist of carved stones formed into a dinosaurs, that's why it is commonly known as Jurassic Park.
Its picturesque view of the blue waters of the sea makes tourists attracted and relaxed.
It has facilities that would suit to your relaxation needs like restaurant, open cottages, air-conditioned cottages, air-conditioned dormitory, sea pool, etcetera.