Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Kitcharao is a fourth class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 17,377 people.

The Municipality of Kitcharao was created under Republic Act No. 3842, sponsored by Congressman Guillermo R. Sánchez. It was once a barrio of Jabonga. Through the initiative of the then Vice Mayor Francisco M. Tuozo of Jabonga, a resolution was sponsored petitioning Congress for the creation of the Municipality of Kitcharao.

The inhabitants of the municipality came from various regions in Luzon and the Visayas, hence the presence of Ilocanos, Tagalogs, Leyteños, Ilongos, Warays, Cebuanos, Boholanos, and a few indigenous groups known as the Mamanwa or Kongking.

On August 29, 1963, the first Municipal Officials were inducted to the office by then Governor Democrito O. Plaza. Félix Q. Basadre, Sr. was the appointed Mayor, Marceliano Morada as Vice Mayor and all the councillors were: Mariano M. Napalan, Sr., Gaudencio Pojas, Pencionico Bermúdez, Juan Tidalgo, Agustín Patagan and Uldarico Atuel.

The same set of Municipal Officials was elected in the ensuing regular election on November 1963.

In 2005, Barangays Crossing and Songkoy were created.

Tubay, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Tubay is a fourth class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 20,426 people.

It was created from the barrios of Tubay, La Fraternidad, Tinigbasan, Cabayawa, Victory, Sta. Ana, and Tagmamarcay of the municipality of Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte in 1947, by virtue of Republic Act No. 188.

The town of Tubay is named after its legendary founder Datu Tabay, and lays claim to being the second Spanish Settlement in Agusan and was known as a Pueblo as early as 1751. Formerly, the people settled in the wilderness of Ilihan, then transferred to sitio Malabog and later to Tubay-Tubay and Sabang near the mouth of the Jabonga River. However, the danger of constant inundation and Moro attacks convinced the succeeding leader of the place to move the pueblo to Daang Lungsod where the massive magkuno post of once spacious and strongly built church now stand. It was here where the settlement firmly took place.

Since 1898, Tubay was a prosperous town. But when the Americans visited Tubay and Cabadbaran, they were convinced that the latter was the better place for the seat of government. Therefore in 1903, Tubay was reduced to a barrio to give way to its equally thriving neighbor, Cabadbaran. Although reduced to a barrio status, it still remained the center of commercial activity due to the presence of Chinese merchants. Booming business in Tubay was still noticeable until the fabulous 20’s when the navigable Jabonga River was the chief artery of its copra and hemp traffic. However, when the road connecting Tubay-Santiago and Cabadbaran was finished, business in Tubay began to decline and trade through the Jabonga River disappeared.

Jabonga, Agusan del Norte, Philippines

Jabonga is a third class municipality in the province of Agusan del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 23,833 people.

Jabonga lies within the grid 90 degrees 18 minutes to 9 degrees 23 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 43 minutes east longitude. Its boundaries are Kitcharao and Surigao del Norte to the north; Butuan Bay to the west; Tubay and Santiago to the south; Surigao del Sur to the east. It is 60 kilometres (37 mi) from Butuan City.

It has a total land area of 29,300 hectares of plain to rolling and hilly lands. Among the municipalities, Jabonga ranks first in total area and number of farms (464) which are mostly owned by individuals. It has one of the 36 crop storage facilities of the province.Its major crops are coconut, rice, corn, timber and both fresh and sea-water fish.